Public Protection

The partnership on behalf of its partner authorities (Canterbury City Council, Gravesham Borough Council, Medway Council and Swale Borough Council) has a general duty to enforce the Building Regulations in its area, to protect the public in and around buildings, and will seek to do so by informal means wherever possible.

Dangerous Structure

Where the Council has been informed about a potentially dangerous building or structure, a building control surveyor will inspect (where possible and safe to do so) the reported building or structure, within 4 hours, and where possible the owner and occupiers of the premises will be informed.

Depending on the outcome of the building surveyors' inspection, the partnership will determine what action is required, ranging from further regular inspections to, in some cases, the emergency partial or full demolition.

The Council can:


To notify the partnership of a dangerous building or structure please call:

During office hours -  01634 331133    

Out of office hours -  01634 304400


Demolition Notices       

Where an owner wishes to demolish any building or part of a building, in excess of 50 cubic metres, they need to submit a Demolition form, under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984, at least 6 weeks prior to commencing the demolition. Demolition works should not start until either the 6 weeks have elapsed or we serve a Notice under Section 81 of the Act.

To notify us of a demolition, please email the following details to

Note: a fee of £250.00 is applicable - Please confirm in your email who we should contact to collect this fee.

Do not forget The Party Wall etc Act 1996 as this may also apply.  You may need to give separate notification under the Act to adjoining owners.  Building Control does not get involved in Party Wall issues.  Further information regarding demolitions and what you need to know and do, can be obtained from the Health & Safety Executive 


Download Documents