Property Library

Building Control History Information

Click on Property Search & Tracking for our online search which provides free, up-to-date, 24 hour access to building control application information held across Canterbury, Gravesham, Medway and Swale authorities.

Apply Online


Need a copy of documentation or search carried out

For our team to carry out a search (from 1998 to present day), provide copies of documentation (where available) and/or answer questions would be a chargeable service.  The search charge of £45.00 covers the cost of the search but does not guarantee we will be able to provide the information requested. 

If you require a search of our old registers where we may or may not be able to establish the relevant application number relating to a development a search charge of £15.00 is payable to cover the cost of the search but does not guarantee we will be able to provide the required information.

Click on APPLY ONLINE and complete the online application form or email us at providing full details of the search request and contactable telephone number to take payment.  Or if you wish to pay by card please telephone 01634 331133 quoting your acknowledgment ID and a member of administration will be able to take the payment.  Please note: until full request details and payment have been received no search will be carried out.

From July 2002, the Law Society as part of Solicitors "Searches" are required to ask  questions to confirm that all necessary Building Control consents have been obtained for building works before a property can be sold or re-mortgaged.  Failure to ensure that controlled building work does comply with the Building Regulations may lead to difficulties, delays and possible additional costs in any future sale of the property.

Please note these fees will be increasing from 1 January 2021.  Further details can be found in the Download Documents section below.

Building work from 1974 to 31 December 1997

The partnership no longer holds the information relating to building control work carried out on properties before 1 January 1998.  Where plans were available this information is now being held by the respective authorities archivist who can be contacted at:

For Gravesham and Swale Council areas:

For Medway Council area:                   

For Canterbury Council area:              

Works carried out in the Gillingham area prior to Medway Council forming as a Unitary Authority, no index is available as works were carried out under the property name.  These records are now with the Medway archivist.

For Canterbury Council please note documents will only be disclosed to the owner of the property and a council tax/utility bill with the relevant name and address will be accepted as evidence of ownership.  If a customer is enquiring on behalf of someone else they need to provide permission from the property owner so that Local Land Charges can disclose the information to the third party.

Please note that completion certificates were not routinely issued for building regulation applications submitted before 2002.

Building work from 1 January 1998 to 31 December 2006

Limited information is now held by the partnership relating to work within this period.  Please note our standard search fee is payable for any enquiry made for information held.



Download Documents