STG are committed to providing you with a courteous and efficient service.  In the event that you are not satisfied with the service you have received you can put in a formal complaint which we will investigate and let you know the outcome.  We will be fair and we will try to put things right if we have made a mistake. 

Our complaints procedure is:

Stage One

STG as the local authority building control provider for (Canterbury City Council, Gravesham Borough Council, Medway Council and Swale Borough Council) will investigate the complaint and will make every effort to get the matter sorted at stage one.   

We aim to acknowledge any complaint we receive within 3 working days of receiving it.  And we aim to get back to you within 10 working days with a full written response.  In some instances it may be necessary to make a prolonged investigation, if this should take longer than 10 working days we will contact you to advise you of why and when you can expect a full response.


How To Make A Complaint

If your complaint resides within Gravesham, Canterbury or Swale local authority areas, please follow the steps below.

Your complaint can be sent to us at:

STG Building Control Partnership, Foord Annexe, Eastgate House, High Street, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1EW

or Email: 

Please ensure you provide the site address and full details of your complaint.

If your complaint resides within the Medway local authority area, you will need to contact the Customer Relations Team at Medway Council. 

Your complaint will need to be sent to them via an online webform, please click the link to take you directly to the form: Make a complaint online

Alternatively, you can contact them at:

Customer Relations Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR


Stage Two

Stage two gives you the opportunity to have your complaint looked at again if you are not happy with our response at stage one.  Your complaint will be reviewed following the stage two complaints procedure of the local authority in which your complaint resides.

for Gravesham:         

You have the right to appeal the decision with the Director of STG.  Contact details as provided above.

for Canterbury:          

You can ask the Head of Planning, Simon Thomas, at Canterbury City Council for an internal review.  They will examine your complaint, look at how it was handled by our staff, the procedures followed and the reply given.  They will then write to you with the conclusions. 

Full details and to apply online can be found at:

for Medway:              

Your complaint will be reviewed by a Customer Relations Investigation Officer. 

Contact can be via email:                       

or you can write to:                                          Customer Relations Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR. 

Full details can be found at:                   

for Swale:     

You can complain to the Chief Executive at Swale Borough Council by email at


Stage Three - Gravesham Borough Council only

If you remain unhappy, the matter may be referred to the Chief Executive at Gravesham Borough Council, Civic Centre, Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1AU, for review.



What to do if you are still not satisfied

We hope that our complaints procedure will help sort out quickly and successfully any problems you may have with the way our service was provided.  However, if you are still not satisfied with the way your complaint has been handled, or the conclusions reached, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Local Government Ombudsman is a free independent national service which investigates complaints against councils.  You can complain to the Ombudsman at any time but they will expect you to have tried to resolve matters through our internal procedures first.   Details can be found at